EDV Carer Coaching is a structured eight week program, designed to get families off to a good start in supporting their young person’s recovery from a restrictive eating disorder. The program will be delivered by one of our experienced Carer Coaches.
The Carer Coaching Program by Eating Disorders Victoria is an 8-week, 1:1 online coaching program for families with a young person who has been newly diagnosed with a restrictive eating disorder. This page outlines what the program entails and how you can get involved.
What is the Carer Coaching Program by Eating Disorders Victoria?
What is a Carer Coach?
Our Carer Coaches have lived experience of supporting their young person through to recovery from an eating disorder. They also bring a wealth of collective experience from their ongoing peer support work with other families. They are not clinicians, but they bring the expertise and skills they have gained throughout their own journey, to support your family.
How can the program help families?
Families will feel empowered by gaining knowledge about eating disorders and learning actions they can take to support recovery, prior to beginning formal clinical treatment.
How does the program work?
Participants will attend up to eight weekly online sessions prior to commencing treatment with their specialist clinical team. These sessions will run for 60 minutes and carers will leave feeling more empowered and confident.
- The person with the eating disorder must be under the care of a GP or pediatrician.
- You are the carer/s of a young person (under 19) who is experiencing a restrictive eating disorder.
- The young person with the eating disorder is on a wait list for formal treatment.
- You are able to commit to weekly sessions (up to 8) until formal treatment commences.
- You are a Victorian resident.
- Our Carer Coaches are experts by experience. We are not clinicians.
- We cannot provide service or clinical recommendations and all of our information should be regarded as adjunct to, not a replacement for, clinical treatment.
- We will keep your information confidential (the EDV privacy guidelines can be found on our website).
- Our Carer Coaches receive support and supervision.
Please provide us with 24 hours notice if you cannot attend your scheduled appointment.
How much does the program cost?
This program is free, thanks to the support of the Victorian Government.
What if our formal treatment appointment arrives before we have completed the 8-week Carer Coaching Program?
You can finish the Carer Coaching program at any time during the 8-week period. We will provide an exit meeting to ensure that you leave feeling informed and well supported.
Who else can attend the Carer Coaching Program 8-week course with me?
Any primary carer is welcome, but would need to attend the entire course.
How are the appointment dates organised?
You will work together with your Carer Coach to book mutually convenient times for your appointments. Appointments will be for up to 60 minutes, on a Tuesday or Wednesday between the hours of 9.30am and 4pm.
What if I need help between appointments or if the waiting period for treatment is over 8-weeks?
EDV have a broad level of support available to you. Call the EDV Hub, Monday-Friday 9.30am-4.30pm on 1300 550 236 or the Butterfly Foundation 7 days per week, 8am-midnight on 1800 334 673.
Register for the Carer Coaching Program
If you are interested in joining the Carer Coaching Program, please complete the registration form provided below and one of our Carer Coaches will get in touch.
For further questions about the program, please reach out to us at email@example.com or phone 1300 550 236.
Register for the Carer Coaching Program online
Follow the link below to fill out our online registration form.Register now
What if I'm not eligible for the Carer Coaching Program?
If you’re not eligible for the Carer Coaching Program, please explore the other support options that EDV has on offer.
EDV offer a range of programs and resources for carers, families and loved ones, including:
- EDV Hub – free, confidential information, service system navigation and support
- Telehealth Nurse – free service to assist carers with accessing treatment for a loved one, locating specialised eating disorder services and health professionals and provide information and support to help people work towards recovery.
- Wellbeing Checks-Ins – up to five free, 30-minute sessions with a trained counsellor to help carers talk through and manage their caring role
- rALLY Support Group – monthly online support group for loved ones who are playing an active role in the recovery of someone with an eating disorder
- RENEW Support Group – online webinar style group for carers of someone with a longer term eating disorder
- Carer resources page on our website
Sign up for EDV's Carer Newsletter
Receive information about caring for someone with an eating disorder directly to your inbox every month. Written by carers, for carers.
Submit your name and email to subscribe to our monthly Carer newsletter.