At Eating Disorders Victoria (EDV), we understand the challenges of recovering from an eating disorder. The majority of our staff, volunteers, and board members have personal lived experience of eating disorders, either themselves or as loved ones. Find out how we can help you with our range of clinical, peer and educational services below.
This page explains the range of support services offered by EDV that can be accessed by Victorians looking for support around eating disorders.
We get it, because we've been there too.
“What a fantastic service you offer to very concerned families. It is so appreciated.”
The EDV Hub is usually your first port of call when contacting Eating Disorders Victoria. The Hub is a free and confidential service providing information and peer support for people experiencing eating disorders or those who are supporting them (family, friends, professionals etc.). We offer a safe place for you to seek information, openly discuss your experience with eating disorders and ask any questions you may have.
The main roles of EDV Hub are:
- Information: we provide evidence based information to help people understand eating disorders.
- Navigation: by listening carefully and asking questions, we are able to connect people with the services and support that they may need.
- Support: we provide an understanding and non-judgmental ear to talk to.
Contact the Hub
Fill out an online form, send an email or give us a call Mon – Fri 9.30am – 4.30pm on 1300 550 236.Contact the Hub
The Telehealth Nurse service is a free support service that is available to any Victorian who is experiencing an eating disorder or who is caring for someone with an eating disorder. The Telehealth Nurse service is suitable for people at all stages of the treatment journey. Our Nurses work to:
- Understand your history, needs and treatment goals
- Locate specialised eating disorder health professionals relevant to your location and plan next steps of action
- Provide useful information, support and educational resources
Get in touch with an EDV Telehealth Nurse
EDV Telehealth Nurses are available for consultations Monday – Thursday. Bookings are essential.Learn more and book a consultation
EDV Telehealth Counselling is a free support service that is available to any Victorian who is concerned they may be experiencing or currently diagnosed with an eating disorder, as well as those caring for someone with an eating disorder.
Our qualified Counsellors offer an understanding and expert ear to talk to. Counsellors work to understand your unique situation and provide tailored information and support. Counselling sessions are free and are available for up to five, 30-minute sessions.
Get in touch with an EDV Telehealth Counsellor
EDV’s Telehealth Counsellors are available Monday – Friday. Bookings are essential.Learn more and book
Peer Mentoring Program
“The best thing is meeting someone who has actually recovered from an ED, seeing that it is possible to live a fulfilling life and have a good relationship with food”.
The Peer Mentoring Program (PMP) supports adults with an eating disorder who are working towards recovery. It provides one-on-one mentoring with an EDV mentor who has recovered from an eating disorder and supports participants work towards recovery goals in the community.
Learn more about the Peer Mentoring Program
The Peer Mentoring Program is offered through a number of ’rounds’ in a year. Find out when our next intake for the program is.Learn more
The SE-ED Program is a 12-week, intensive program for people with Severe and Enduring Eating Disorders (SE-EDs), delivered by those with lived experience of SE-EDs.
The program focuses on increasing quality-of-life for participants by providing education, fostering learning and independence, increasing hope and enhancing social skills. The program is open to adults who have been living with an eating disorder for 10+ years.
Learn more about the SE-ED Program
The SE-ED Program is offered through a number of ’rounds’ in a year. Find out when our next intake for the program is.Learn more
EDV Carer Coaching is a structured eight week program, designed to get families off to a good start with supporting their young person’s recovery from a restrictive eating disorder. The program is delivered by one of our experienced Carer Coaches, who have their own lived experience of supporting a loved one to recovery.
Participants will attend up to eight weekly online sessions prior to commencing treatment with their specialist clinical team. These sessions will run for 60 minutes and carers will leave feeling more empowered and confident.
The program is suitable for families of young people (under the age of 19) who have been newly diagnosed with a restrictive eating disorder, but are yet to access a clinical team.
Learn more about EDV’s Carer Coaching Program
If you are a parent or carer of a young person with a newly diagnosed eating disorder, the Carer Coaching Program could be suitable for you. Find out by filling out a registration form on our Carer Coaching webpage.Learn more
EDV currently run a range of online support groups:
- REACH – for people experiencing restrictive and compensatory behaviours
- BEYOND – for people experiencing binge eating and compensatory behaviours
- COSMO – for people experiencing an eating disorder and also having difficulties with other health conditions such as (but not limited to) alcohol or drug use, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, autism.
- BLOOM – for people in the LGBTIQA+ community experiencing eating disorders
- VIVA- for people with any eating disorder who identify as being in a larger body
- rALLY Support Groups for parents and caregivers who are actively involved in the care of someone with an eating disorder (usually a child or young adult)
- RENEW – for long term care givers who are looking for self-care strategies and support
To learn more and book your place, please see here.
Learn more about Support Groups
Support groups are a great way to connect with people going through similar journeys, however they can also be daunting to join. Find the answers to our FAQs on support groups.Learn more
Community workshops, courses and events
EDV run a range of workshops, courses and events throughout the year that support people going through recovery, as well as people caring for loved ones. Examples include:
- Discovering the Healthy Self, a six-week workshop for people going through recovery
- Collaborative Caring Skills Workshop, a seven-week workshop for carers designed by Professor Janet Treasure
- Stories of Recovery events where Ambassadors share their experience of recovery from an eating disorder and answer audience questions
Workshops are regularly updated on our events page.
Find out what’s on
Visit out events page to see the latest workshops and events at EDV.Visit events page
Newsletters, podcast, social media
Sign up to our different e-newsletters at EDV.
- ‘Sending Hope’ our fortnightly recovery newsletter. Focus on recovery topics and suited for people currently in or maintaining recovery.
- Carers Newsletter, sent monthly. Focus on the experience of carers, with tips and support from our Carer Coaching team.
- General e-news, sent monthly. For updates about what’s happening at EDV, sector news, job opportunities and more.
Get recovery inspiration and tools straight into your ears with our podcast.
Candid Conversations is a podcast that captures the knowledge and lived experience of the team here at EDV. Each episode looks at a different aspect of recovery. Suitable for people currently going through or maintaining recovery, as well as carers and support people.
See below our episode on quasi recovery and find all episodes wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Don’t forget to follow us on social media!
We share latest news, recovery tools and tips, information carers, advocacy news and more on social media.