Eating Disorders Victoria (EDV) is seeking volunteers to co-facilitate our newly revamped Support Groups for Carers/Supports of someone with an Eating Disorder. We are specifically looking for volunteers who have lived experience as a Carer for someone with an Eating Disorder.
There are two different group facilitator roles available:
1) rALLY group: a monthly group aimed at supporting and educating families/supports who are playing an active role in recovery of their loved one. Group location: Balwyn North.
2) ReNew group: a quarterly group aimed at supporting families/supports of those with an Eating Disorder who may have been unwell for a long time or where the Support person is not actively involved in person’s treatment. Group location: Abbotsford.
Interested applicants should be able to commit to volunteering for a minimum 12-month period for 2-3 hours a month or quarter (depending on chosen group).
Key Selection Criteria:
- Lived experience as a carer/support person of someone with an eating disorder. The person with the Eating Disorder must be either recovered or in recovery (ESSENTIAL)
- An understanding of eating disorders and related mental health issues, and the impact they have on individuals, families and wider support networks.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills that are adaptable to various audiences, including carers/support persons, co-facilitators, and EDV staff.
- Ability to establish meaningful contact (empower & build rapport) with carers/ support persons from diverse backgrounds, and to support people experiencing emotional distress.
- Ability to work effectively with a co-facilitator.
- Understanding of the nature and purpose of support services in Victoria.
- High level of personal accountability and reliability and a desire to take responsibility for own learning.
- Ability to take direction and use feedback to develop own professional capabilities.
Contact: Ruth Green, Volunteer Coordinator
Ph: 9994 0354 ext. 212
How to apply: Go to https://www.eatingdisorders.org.au/get-involved/volunteer/
Complete the Volunteer application form and submit this, along with your CV & two referees.
Applications close: Monday, 13th April 2020