Due to the complex nature of eating disorders, it is highly recommended that GPs undertake additional training to support their knowledge base. Here we have listed RACGP accredited training courses.
Eating Disorder Core Skills: eLearning for GPs
- RACGP accredited
- ACRRM accredited
- 40 CPD points
- Online – 5 modules, self-paced
- Free with NEDC membership (free to join)
Eating Disorder Core Skills: eLearning for GPs is comprehensive foundational eating disorder training developed specifically for GPs. The training provides GPs with the key information needed to provide best practice care for patients with eating disorders.
The training will equip GPs with the knowledge and skills needed to understand, identify and assess eating disorders, provide medical treatment, lead the multidisciplinary team, manage MBS items and provide ongoing recovery support.
This four-hour, self-paced and interactive online training includes practical real-life scenarios and activities, videos from leaders in the field and people with a lived experience of an eating disorder, up to date resources and a formal assessment.
This training has been developed by the National Eating Disorders Collaboration (NEDC) and is available free for GPs.
Eating Disorders: Early Intervention and Community Treatment
- RACGP and ACRRM accredited
- Cat 1, 40 CPD points
- In person learning
- 6.5 hours
- $467.50 incl. GST
“I learnt so much from this session and have been able to use it with my patients already. Hopefully I am now not missing patients which I am sure I did in the past.” – Victorian GP
This is an activity-based training featuring a panel of experts as well as people with a lived experience of an eating disorder. Learning outcomes include:
- Coordinate care for a person with an eating disorder with specialist services and community providers.
- Evaluate the signs and symptoms of the different types of eating disorders.
- Support patient engagement and disclosure for patients with an undiagnosed eating disorder.
- Implement the use of HEADDS and SCOFF screening tools.
- Assess the clinical risks associated with eating disorders.
To comply with RACGP and ACRRM points and allocation, predisposing and reinforcing activities must be completed pre- and post-attendance at this event.
Recognising Eating Disorders in General Practice
- RACGP online learning
- Cat 2
- 2 CPD points
- 2 hours, online
- Free with RACGP membership
General Practitioners registered with the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners have access to this accredited online training. Areas covered include:
- Description of the spectrum of disordered eating behaviours and their consequences
- Explanation of the factors contribute to the development of eating disorders and how to use this knowledge to identify patients at higher risk
- Discussion on how to improve early recognition of eating disorders through identification of disordered eating behaviours and screening tools
- Suggestions on communication techniques that support patient engagement and disclosure of disordered eating
- Brief outline of interventions and treatment options pathways