About Support Groups
What is a support group?
The joining of a group of people who have common needs or problems, whose purpose is to draw upon the support, caring, resources and skills of all group members for the benefit of all.
They provide an opportunity for information sharing, increased understanding and peer support. They allow people to discuss and share their lived experience and emotions and to develop new strategies in a safe and supportive environment.
Support groups are open, unstructured in format and agenda and reactive to group needs.
EDV Support groups do not provide professional advice, medical advice, nutritional advice, counselling, crisis management or case management.
What types of groups are available?
Eating Disorders Victoria provides three types of support groups across Victoria:
Recovery Support Groups for people with an eating disorder.
Family and Friends Support Groups for family, partners and friends of a loved one experiencing an eating disorder.
Combined Support Groups for both people recovering from an eating disorder and family and friends who are caring for a loved one with an eating disorder.
Who runs the groups?
All EDV support groups are run by trained volunteers with knowledge and/or experience relevant to running groups and/or a personal experience with eating disorders. The role of the volunteer facilitators is to:
- To facilitate sharing between members and to encourage the exchange of ideas and feelings in a constructive and positive environment
- To protect the safety and continuity of the group
- To guide group discussion, prevent conflicts from developing and intervene in the case of a crisis
- To ensure the EDV guidelines are being upheld at all times and to intervene as required
- The facilitators are not expected to know all the answers or to be able to fix the problem.
Is there a cost?
Yes, a contribution of $3 is required.
Are there any restrictions?
We aim to be non-discriminatory and as inclusive as possible at all meetings however some guidelines and eligibility criteria apply.
Where can I find a support group?
Eating Disorders Victoria provides a number of support groups across Victoria for people with an eating disorder and their families, partners and friends. To view support group locations and dates click here.
- Last revision date: Wednesday, 24 June 2015 15:44